Saturday, August 02, 2008

Melbourne Art Fair

On Wednesday I flew down to Melbourne to attend Vernissage, the opening night preview of the Melbourne Art Fair, It was quick trip but it was an amazing experience to get to see so many established and up and coming Artists unveil their new works all under the one and very grand roof of the Exhibition Palace.
I also used the trip as a chance to check out the Art Deco Exhibition on show at the NGV which was absolutely superb - I knew it was going to be in impressive exhibition purely by the fact that it's been the most popular show held in the history of the V & A Museum in London who put it together but as a bonus there were some pieces on display that I was not expecting to see at all such as the beautiful (and rare!!) furniture from the french design duo of Sue et Mare whom I'm a very big fan of and some pretty spectacular jewels on loan from Cartier's archives that I'd read about before so that was a great thrill.

Here's a few snaps I took during the trip.....

The three below are of the friend who I stayed with's beautiful neighbourhood...


Photobucket

Photobucket
budding magnolias

Photobucket

Photobucket
The Melbourne exhibition palace

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Scott Redford at Gould Galleries
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This one that I unintentionally got my reflection in is for Superdrewby who's a fan of Scott's Polar Bear Ceramics
Photobucket
A Jeff Koons skull at
Photobucket
A very confronting re -imagined version of Michelangelo's Pieta by Sam Jinks at Boutwell Draper Galleries - The realistic detail in this was amazing, I'd be intruiged to see who could live with this in their home.
Photobucket
an interesting detail of Del Kathryn Bartons installation at Kaliman Galleries..... Dicks that look like magic mushrooms hmmmmm....
My absolute favorites though were the Penny Byrne pieces at Sullivan + Strumpf Galleries and Ill post about those later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Superdrewby said...

Amazing stuff!

and yes I ma a very big fan of scott's work!

I am looking forward to seeing the Art Deco NGV exhibition this coming week!

and thanks for thinkingof me :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger damian@gaytraveller said...

This is great. Love the gold skull.

Damian
www.gaytraveller.com.au

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home