Monday, July 25, 2005

I'm Guest Programing Rage!!!

Well not really, but someone who was Guest Programming Rage left the book that you use to pick all the songs behind and and as I perused through the pages it made me think of what I would choose if I had the chance to program the show.
For those of you not familiar with Rage it is an all night music program consisting of back to back film clips which screens nationally every Friday and Saturday night and it's been on-air for 18 years so it is a bit of a staple institution here.
The show has no presenters except on Saturday nights where they get a visiting high profile band or solo artist to pick the clips for the show and also give a few brief introductions as to why they chose them.
Even if I was a Rock Star outside of my own bedroom, I still don't think they would let me program the show due to my bi-polar musical tastes, which is why I am just going to inflict my choices on anyone who chooses to read below.

1. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (The Thinking Man's sex bomb and this song and clip would have to be one of my earliest music video memories.)

2. The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses

3. Cold Chisel - Flame Trees (I cant help it....I am from the Country!!)

4. The Doors - Love me Two Times

5. David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes (A ground breaking filmclip way ahead of it's time that used to freak me out when I was a kid - not to mention a brilliant song!)

6. John Lennon - Jealous Guy (even if Phil Spector is a cold blooded killer he is still a mega fucking talented producer that changed music in the 20th Century by helping make songs like this one!)

7. Split Enz - Message to my Girl

8. Stevie Nicks - Rooms on Fire

9. Cher - I found Someone (Dedicated to my friend David - If it wasn't for a young David seeing this clip on TV in deepest Wagga Wagga - Country NSW many years ago I don't know what kind of explicit vices he would be getting himself into today in place of his passion of Cher - see www.dwatson.com to see just how far that passion has taken him to!)

10. Belinda Carlisle - Leave a Light On

11. Kylie Minogue - What Do I have to Do

12. Madonna - Justify My Love (Filmed at The Chateau Marmont in LA back when the place was truly Sleazy and that reason alone is enough for it to have a place on this list!!)

13. Madonna - Like a Virgin (Live Blonde Ambition tour version)

14. Dannii - All I Wanna Do

15. Divinyls - I Touch Myself

16. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

17. Guns & Roses - November Rain (One of my all time favorites - an Epic that I don't think will ever be eclipsed)

18. Guns & Roses - Yesterdays

19. Guns & Roses - Estranged (This clip is so self indulgent with the kind of concept that could only be dreamed up after annihilating mountains of A grade record company coke!! And that's why I love it!)

20. Leonard Cohen - Waiting for the Miracle

21. Nine Inch Nails - Closer (This one's dedicated to Scott from Bill In Exile )

22. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Breaking The Girl

23. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under The Bridge

24. Crowded House - Distant Sun

25. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box

26. Hole - Gold Dust Woman

27. Hole - Malibu

28. Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People

29. Dandy Warhols - Not if you were the last Junky on Earth (One of my all time favorite clips Directed By David Lachapelle and also featuring Amanda Lepore)

30. Radiohead - Just

31. Radiohead - Karma Police

32. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing

33. The Fauves - Dogs are the Best People ( I love dogs so this one HAD to go on the list)

34. Blur - Coffee & TV

35. Queens Of The Stone Age - No One Knows

36. Grinspoon - Lost Control (A rockin Afternoon at Bondi Beach - This clip drips with sex!!)

37. PJ Harvey - Good Fortune

38. PJ Harvey - This is Love

39. Air - Playground Love

40. The Vines - Outtathaway! (another Amazing Lachapelle Clip)

41. The Distillers - Drain The Blood

42. Courtney Love - Mono

43. Lil Kim - No Matter What They Say (Lil Kim in a Bikini with a Machine Gun - Totally obnoxious!! , What more could you want!)

44. Sheryl Crow - My favorite Mistake

45. Fleetwood Mac - Say you Will

46.Lenny Kravitz - Again

47. Martin Solveiga - Rockin Music

48. Britney Spears - Slave 4 U (One of those Clips that makes what could have been a fairly average song on its own transcend into pure pop Elysium)

49. Christina Aguilera - Dirty (another incredible take no prisoners Lachapelle clip)

50. Ciara feat. Missy Elliott - 1-2 Step (I just like this one for the Dancing)

3 Comments:

Blogger head blogger said...

Great list Nick, so many that I'd have picked myself probably!Love the Cher reference too, and thanks for the link!!

M xx

1:15 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thats the first time anyone has dedicated a song to me and what a great one to choose!

Your play list is spectacular and your choices of Kate Bush, the Split Enz and The Doors is truly inspired.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best rage playlist ive seen in a LONG time

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home