Thursday, January 19, 2006

Objects of Desire - The Smoke Chair

The Smoke chair by Moooi has been around for some time now but It's never failed to catch my eye and my imagination during one of my regular surfs at www.moooi.com - one of my favorite drool worthy sites when admiring cutting edge furniture design.




Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Designed by Maarten Baas in 2002 this chair is really unlike anything else out there due to the fact that one of the final treatments in the production process is setting the chair on fire before being finished with epoxy to capture the beauty and character of burnt wood in the final product. .

Apart from the Smoke Chair just being insanely beautiful I also love it because of the dark and sinister qualities it evokes and I cant help but imagine how sexy it would be to have someone such as Scott from Bill in Exile (linked at the right) bent over the arm wearing only a harness to grab onto, or a beautiful boy to the likes of the French Model Roc Barbot reclining back naked on the soft black leather by a roaring marble fireplace.

Actually, I think I prefer the both of them in the chair at the same time. That would be a pretty fucking sexy vison to behold.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Guess I better start saving for one!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a pic of Roch that might help with ur thoughts

I can understand why u want him sitting in your chair like this

http://www.model-max.com/photoshoots/roch_barbot/3.jpg

9:36 PM  
Blogger Snickers said...

Spot on, he just needs to lose the badly styled clothes and then he will be allowed to sit in my chair!!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felt a strange sense of deja vu as I was reading your blog - I used to have the same addiction to the Moooi chair (damn, I can not believe it can happen to someone else).

I was just planning to renovate my appartment and decided a couple of Moooi chairs was a must to give my appartment a perfect look. I loved the chairs at first sight and was kind of obsessed (shit, just wondering how those nice little objects can be manipulative) So, I was ready to order a couple of those chairs despite the cost (3.000 Euro each!) and the fact I only saw the internet images of them.

Thanks to a friend of mine I waited till a sample chair arrived to a furniture store. And guess what? The real chair was only 50% of the internet image and fell short of my expectations. There was no sleek black leather - it was mat and greyish in fact, the leather quality was like that of a car seat. It seemed unproportionally wide with those short legs (on the image the proportion is just fine). And what was the most frustrating, a certain kind of finishing didn't give the chair the antique look I was so much into - it looked rather a piece of office furniture.

So I was pretty much disappointed and the day was ruined. The moral of the story: don't buy those internet images and check out the real sample if available. I wish something was wrong with just the sample chair I saw and you will find the real chair that is OK.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Celine here from Chaplins Furniture. Our company offers the best in modern living and contemporary furniture. As we are a recongnized, across Europe as the largest independent modern furniture and luxury living store we recently launched a new website.
If you are interested in this product, the Moooi Smoke Chair, it is available in Chaplins’ website where you can have more informations or buy it.

http://www.chaplins.co.uk/furniture-manufacturer-search.html

Chaplins Furniture
477-507 Uxbridge Road
Hatch End
Middlesex
HA5 4JS
Call: 020 8421 1779
Mail: sales@chaplins.co.uk

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home